For many individuals worldwide, moving to Canada can be their ideal destination because of the country’s rich cultural diversity, high level of life, and superior social benefits. Marrying a Canadian citizen or permanent resident is one option to enter the country as an immigrant. Although this process can be complicated, it is manageable with the correct knowledge and assistance.
Understanding Canadian immigration laws and eligibility criteria for marriage immigration is crucial before embarking on this journey. Finding a Canadian partner and going through the marriage process in Canada are also important steps to take. Once you are married, you can apply for a spousal sponsorship to become a permanent resident of Canada.
In addition, your spouse in Canada needs to meet certain other requirements that include the following:
- he or she must be over the age of 18,
- must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
- must not be receiving social assistance from the Canadian government.
- and be able to financially support you and your family (this includes you and any dependent children you have).
Once you are married to your spouse in Canada and meet all other requirements, you can then apply for a spousal sponsorship visa. Only after the spousal sponsorship application is approved will you be able to become a Canadian permanent resident.
Now, before we get into full details, let’s look at some of the benefits of marrying a Canadian citizen.
What are the Benefits of Marrying a Canadian Citizen?
The benefits of marrying a Canadian citizen or permanent resident are many, but I will list just a few.
First, as someone married to a Canadian, you stand a chance of getting a Canadian permanent residency through spousal sponsorship. And after fulfilling a few requirements, you can eventually apply for Canadian citizenship.
Another interesting benefit is that you do not need to worry about the financial implication as your spouse in Canada assume all your financial duties by sponsoring you.
Besides, as part of the requirements when applying for PR as a spouse, you will not be judged heavily on your professional work skills or abilities, which may benefit applicants who lack a degree or required work experience.
What do you need to marry a Canadian Citizen?
If you are planning to get married to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, here is what you need to know. A Marriage that is legally performed in South Africa, Nigeria, Ghana, Pakistan, or outside Canada is usually valid in Canada.
The marriage requirement and process may differ from country to country. So, ensure that it is legally done in your country of residence.
However, marrying a Canadian citizen or permanent resident may not automatically make you a Canadian citizen. You will need to go through the same processes other applicants go through to immigrate to Canada. See below for the steps to apply for a spousal sponsorship.
What are the steps to apply for a spousal sponsorship visa?
If you are a Nigerian, Ghanaian, South Africa Indian, Pakistani, or from any other country, here is the steps on how your spouse in Canada can sponsor you for immigration to Canada.
Basically, the IRCC will request that you and your spouse must submit both the sponsorship application and the Permanent residence application.
Here are the steps below;
- Step 1: Find out if your spouse is eligible to sponsor you.
- Step 2: He/She will obtain IRCC’s application package on the government website.
- Step 3: Pay all the required fees on IRCC’s website. Fees normally include processing fees, biometrics fees, and the right of permanent residence fees.
- Step 4: Mail the two applications together to the IRCC mailing address in Canada.
Please Note: The Spousal sponsorship applications must be submitted by mail or through IRCC’s permanent residency application online.
And once IRCC approves the application, you and your spouse must fulfill other responsibilities:
- Your sponsor (Canadian spouse) is financially responsible for you and your dependent, if any.
- You that is being sponsored are not permitted to sponsor another person for five years after being sponsored.
What documents are proof of marriage in Canada?
As part of the application process for spousal sponsorship, you need to be able to prove beyond doubt that both of you are legally married.
Finding a Canadian Partner
If you are interested in immigrating to Canada by marrying a Canadian woman, the first step is to find a suitable partner. Here are some ways to find a Canadian partner:
Online dating sites and apps can be a great way to connect with Canadian women who are also interested in finding a partner. Some popular dating sites in Canada include:
The Marriage Process in Canada
If you are planning to immigrate to Canada by marrying a Canadian woman, you need to understand the legal and cultural requirements for getting married in Canada. This section will provide you with a step-by-step guide to the marriage process in Canada.
To get married in Canada, you need to meet the following legal requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have a valid government-issued identification document, such as a passport or a driver’s license.
- You must not be currently married or in a common-law relationship.
- You must not be closely related to your partner.
Once you have met these requirements, you can apply for a marriage license from the local government office. The application process may vary depending on the province or territory where you are getting married. You may need to provide additional documents, such as a birth certificate or a divorce certificate, depending on your situation.
As part of the spousal sponsorship application process, you may be required to attend an interview. The interview will be conducted by an immigration officer and is designed to assess the genuineness of your relationship.
To prepare for the interview, make sure to:
- Review your application and supporting documents to ensure you are familiar with the details
- Be prepared to answer questions about your relationship, background, and future plans
- Dress appropriately and arrive on time for the interview
- Be honest and open in your answers
By following these steps and being prepared for the spousal sponsorship application process, you can increase your chances of success and start your new life in Canada with your Canadian spouse.